Life has been a whirlwind for me the last few months. I launched a new sewing website, Threadistry, and moved to a new country, massively decreasing my fabric stash, just like Alyce. There hasn’t been much time for crafting, although I should make it a priority because I could do with the stress relief!
For a number of reasons, we chose not to bring a lot of personal effects with us (y sewing machine, overlocker and small stash of fabric did come!). We moved into an apartment and filled it with IKEA furniture (luckily, IKEA have a free delivery and assembly service here!).
So our apartment is minimalist (although the kids can still make a big mess of toys), and while I don’t want to fill the place with stuff (that we’ll have to get back to Australia in a few years time), the place doesn’t have a lot of personality. The kids have the doona covers I made for them, but the house needs some crafty touches to make it feel more like home.
It’s time to prepare a crafty to do list to turn this house (well, apartment) into a home.
Where should I start?
- Cushions for the couch to make it more snuggly!
- Coasters for the coffee table.
- Personalised tea towels and pot holders to give the kitchen some personality (yes, the Thermomix came too!)
- Placemats and table runner for the dinner table
- And dining chair covers that will hide tomato sauce and other kids stains!
- Something cute for the top of that cabinet, to stop my husband piling stuff up there.
- A rug, or some cushions to give the kids something to sit on in the play area.
- Cute storage boxes
Well, that’s a good list to start with! But don’t worry, we’ve already got one special handmade item decorating the house:
A 1.46m model of Burj Khalifa that my son and I built. Hmmm, we’ve got some decorating to do!
What are your favourite things to make to make a house a home?